Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Where Angels Fear to Tread

I am writing today first to all my friends and aquaintances who are Roman Catholics, and secondly, without any authority whatsoever, to all Catholics on behalf of all Protestants. In both cases, I want only to express my sorrow for what I believe has been a period of terrible suffering and embarrassment for both groups and the way they have responded to these problems with renewed faith and courage. From what I can tell, nothing will ever stop Catholics from practising their ancient and marvelous faith, not priests or bishops or blundering senior clergy, nothing.

Every Christian prays that through God's Grace he will be strong and faithful when the pressure points in life descend upon him. Last week may have represented such an event for many Catholics when the Vatican announced new rules for the handling of priests charged with sexual deviancy. Not only were the new rules the bare minimum that might have been expected, the Church's leadership gratuitously inserted into the mix the assertion that seeking the ordination of women is a sin equivalent to pedophilia! What a needless insult to 50% of the Church's membership! What an arrogant and clueless response to terrible problems that have been gnawing at Roman Catholicism. The next pope will need the skills and charisma of two John 23rd's.

We in the Protestant Church have long been plagued with scandal, but our more democratic forms of government make it much easier to deal with. In addition, Protestant churches that disapprove of the work of their governing bodies have ways to fight back. They can withold money, join another church or even go independent without fear of excommunication, eternal damnation and the like.

Many years ago, I spoke quietly and sincerely to a friend whose wife I had known forever. They were experiencing severe problems. I said only that I knew he was suffering and that I was sorry. He was courteous but denied that there was any discomfort in his life. I mention this only because I decided a long time ago, it was probably better to risk being indelicate than to appear indifferent. And so, dear Catholic friends, if I have displeased you with these words, please forgive me. Fools step in ...

No comments:

Post a Comment